Travel Theme: DOORWAYS

If it’s Friday, it must be France …

Many of you know how I love to take part in photo challenges and this week Ailsa’s theme of “DOORWAYS” fits perfectly with my addiction to photographing doors and windows in France.

(*Join us on our tour of the Côte d’Azur and Provence from June 22 to July 4 and see doors like this everywhere we go! Click here for info.)

DSC01880The fancy iron grills at the top of many doors were part of the early method of “air-conditioning”. Fresh air would be drawn in through those openings and flow through to an inner courtyard where it would rise up and out an opening at roof level, helping to cool the interior. Look for them when you are walking through the vieille villes (old towns). These grills alone make pleasing photo collections.

IMG_8411

IMG_4103

IMG_1707

These intricately-carved doors of the 16thC parish church (that served as a cathedral from 1624 to 1790) in the intriguing medieval village Entrevaux, depict the history of the time. Katherine was here in Promises To Keep. (I’m certain she took this same shot.)

La Colombe d'Or-PSandsPhotos

La Colombe d’Or-PSandsPhotos

The door in this wall leads to the restaurant terrace of the famed La Colombe d’Or in Saint Paul de Vence. Click that link to read the entertaining history of this inn. It’s quite the story! If you visit in the summer, be sure to make a reservation.

PSandsPhotos

PSandsPhotos

Now we’re strolling in the charming village of Tourrettes sur Loup. Stop here for violet ice cream and visit Le Bois d’Olivier, IMHO, the shop with the best handcrafted olive wood products in the region. Click on that link and look at the photos on their website. I think you will agree.

Blue in Saint Tropez

Blue in Saint Tropez

Visiting Saint Tropez above. This pretty portal below may look familiar … I keep it on the home page of my website.

DSC00468

DSC01427

DSC01472

DSC01470

DSC00828

Imagine the size of the keys they carried around!

IMG_5996

IMG_1190

When one door opens, who knows what lies beyond?

IMG_7234

Something old, something new (note the repair at the bottom). What else do you do when your centuries-old door starts rotting away?

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

The lower door was once for the donkey.

IMG_6311See the date on the left side? 1581 … After the villagers and farmers of the area survived a deadly plague, they had these doors carved for la chapelle Saint Bernardin in Antibes to give thanks to God for sparing their lives. When we lived in Antibes while I wrote The Promise of Provence, I would walk past these doors every day and often stop just to press my hands on them. There was an aura and sense of history about them that inspired me.

Do you like to take photos of doors when you travel? Where have you found your favourite portals? Bon weekend tout le monde!

When you have a little time, you might want to stop by Ailsa’s Where’s My Backpack and see many other entries to this challenges. There are doors from around the world!

All photos on this site are the copyright of Patricia Sands.

~~~~~

Thanks for joining me today. If you like today’s post, please use the share buttons below. It all helps!

PatriciaSignature200

About Patricia Sands

Family, writing and travel are my passions ... okay, and chocolate ... and I'm seldom without a camera. I write women's fiction and keep in touch with readers by a monthly newsletter that also has giveaways and contests. Come and join us by signing up on the right. See you there!

Comments

1. Gorgeous doorways with a history, Patricia!

2. Patricia Sands says

Wow! You are quick, Marion. I just hit “publish” on this post seconds ago! (Shhhh … don’t tell anyone I was a little late getting it out!) I’m so glad you enjoyed the doors. I’m a little obsessed with them when we travel. Thanks so much for taking the time to leave a comment. Bon weekend!

3. I love doorways too,, and France is such a rich source of gorgeous examples. Thanks for these!

• Patricia Sands says

I have a feeling you have a wealth of photos like these in your collections. As you say, “the rich source” is endless, isn’t it … throughout Europe. My gosh, I was looking at some of my doors from England and other countries last evening (I tend to get sidetracked…) and I was only too aware of the lack of magnificent portals in North America. I’ve decided to make that a quest of mine when I am back in Toronto! Bon weekend, mon amie.

4. Although I’ve not traveled the world and seen these for myself…glad you shared them Patricia, as they are all so beautiful. I see and imagine the history but you, talented one, can tell the stories that were possibly once behind them. 🙂

5. Cathy primeau says

So beautiful. I love doors too. Just imagine what and who went through them.

6. Love these pictures. Thank you for suggestion the “Where’s my backpack” site. Very enjoyable and thought provoking.
    I always find out so much neat stuff from your website postings Patricia. So glad I signed up for it.

• Patricia Sands says

You’re most welcome! It’s so interesting to see the types of doors photographers choose along with angles and details. Ailsa’s site is a favourite of mine and another one with great photo challenges, and Marianne’s beautiful photos in general, is East of Malaga

I’m going to spend a few weeks in the south of Spain in September visiting my sister and will try to meet up with Marianne. I love these internet friendships that develop all over the world!

7. These are fabulous! I also enjoy viewing the various doors throughout small villages – always looking for dates – and just admiring the craftmanship of each door as they are all so unique. These doors also pique my curiosity – I want to open the door and see the treasures inside. And for myself – the older the door the better.

8. What a wonderful collection of doors, Patricia. Thanks for sharing them with us!

• Patricia Sands says

Merci, Faye. I think I probably have over a thousand photos of doors. Am I obsessed? Thanks for stopping by and commenting!

9. Quelle collection fantastique! J’adore mais j’ai le mal du pays maintenant. Merci, Patricia pour ces photos sublimes.

10. Patricia Sands says

J’ai encore beaucoup plus! Je suis triste d’apprendre que tu as le mal du pays à ce moment. C’est difficile d’être si loin de ta patrie. Je t’embrasse … doucement.

11. Despina Chabot says

Beautiful doors…great photos. Thank you.

12. These doors are beautiful Patricia! They are so interesting and I think that each one has a story…

• Patricia Sands says

Hey Meg, nice to see you! I’m betting you have quite a collection of door photos too with all of your globetrotting!

13. PATRICIA, YES THESE DOORS WERE SO UNUSUAL AND INTERESTING TO ADMIRE. IT SEEMS LIKE, IN MY NEIGHBORHOOD, EVERYTHING IS “PLAIN VANILLA” I REALLY APPRECIATED THESE PHOTOS. JOY WOOD

14. Great selection of doorways!

15. An eclectic collection. I’m a fan of doors, too. So far, the most interesting I’ve found are the urban decayed delights of the Jewish district in Budapest.

I love hearing from you ~ thanks for stopping by